Monday, October 5, 2009

Shells with Pumpkin-Sage Cream Sauce

Autumn is definitely here. The leaves are turning and even the warmer days don’t feel like summer anymore. I was craving shells with pumpkin-sage cream sauce, one of the many ways I love to enjoy the very versatile and easy-to-use ingredient: canned pumpkin. I was surprised, however, when my grocery store did not have any canned pumpkin in stock. Where it usually is, there was a gaping hole with only two sad little cans of pumpkin pie filling which is not what I wanted. There seems to be a run on canned pumpkin right now; I wasn’t able to find any until I hit the fourth store. I bought four cans, just in case…

I love this recipe. It’s easy. It’s homey and comforting like macaroni and cheese. But the pumpkin, sage, and Parmesan flavors also make it rather elegant. And, of course, it’s very healthy.

Shells with Pumpkin-Sage Cream Sauce (6 servings)

  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 10-12 sage leaves, chopped
  • 3 tbsp. flour
  • 2 cups skim milk
  • 1 can pumpkin purée
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 lb. large shells, cooked and drained
  1. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the sage and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the flour. Let cook for a minute then add the milk, stirring. Heat gently until thickened. Add the pumpkin and stir to combine. Add the nutmeg, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese and heat.
  2. Toss the sauce with the pasta and serve with extra Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

2 comments:

  1. My Hannafords has a sign saying that the lack of pumpkin is due to poor growing conditions, although it doesn't specify where these poor conditions are.

    As a precaution, I bought a pie pumpkin at the farmer's market--these are the small ones (but not the mini ones) and roasted/pureed it myself and then froze the puree.

    I love pumpkin, and am concerned about a pumpkin shortage, especially as we are hosting Thanksgiving this year! It was so easy to do myself I'll probably pick up a couple more this coming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update! I'm glad I grabbed a few extra cans then, especially as I've already used two of them. Good tip on roasting, pureeing and freezing.

    ReplyDelete